Below are the minimum requirements to apply for EAP.

* Complete, Signed and Dated PY2024 Energy Assistance Application
* State or federally issued photo ID for head of household.
* Verification of social security numbers for all household members
* Proof of Income for Each Household Member 18 and Older

  • Employment: copy of most recent paystub including YTD gross, pay date, and employee name.
  • Social Security Benefits: copy of current year entire social security award letter.
  • Pension, Retirement, VA Benefit: copy of complete current award letter or current check stub.
  • Unemployment: signed Indiana Department of Workforce Development Form.
  • Self Employed: copy of previous years 1040 and Schedule C. All pages.
  • Gig Work: copy of complete current documentation, including your name.
  • No Income or Cash Income: completed and signed Income Verification Affidavit

* Most recent utility bills (Must be in adult household members name, if not a completed Utility Affidavit is needed)

* Utility Affidavit for utility bills that are not in a household member’s name.

* Landlord Affidavit (if utilities are included in rent only)

* Direct Benefit Payment Election Forms (utilities included in rent or wood): only needed if direct deposit is preferred over paper check.

* Current School schedule/Report Card For high school students/college 18-23; Must be enrolled 12 credit hours or more

* Declaration of Absent Household Members Form for anyone listed on any documents but do not reside in the home.

There may be other documents required. If you are unsure, please contact your local service provider. Once your application is complete and you have gathered the required documents, please send them to your local service provider in your county.

Household Size Last 3 Months Household Income Must NOT EXCEED
1 $7,438
2 $9,727
3 $12,016
4 $14,305
5 $16,594
6 $18,883
7 $19,312
8 $19,741

What should I do if I am about to be disconnected?
If you are in disconnect, please do not mail your application! If you are in disconnect you should call your utility provider and make payment arrangements immediately. Please complete an EAP application online or drop off your application at the John Boner Neighborhood Center 2236 East 10th Street Door # 2, 2236 East 10th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46201, there are no face-to-face appointments available currently. Please call 317.223.0945 with questions, someone will return your call as soon as possible.

What other kinds of Utility Assistance is available?
The EAP program may not be able to cover all of your utility bill, or you may not be eligible in certain circumstances. Other resources for utility assistance are available here. To learn more about applying click here.

When Can I apply for EAP?
You can apply for a heating benefit anytime between October 2, 2023, through May 20, 2024.

October 2, 2023
Applications begin to be accepted at Local Service Providers.

November 1, 2023
The PY2024 Energy Assistance Program benefits begin to be transferred to utility vendors.

December 1, 2023
Start of Moratorium protection. Clients with active service who have applied for EAP are protected from disconnection until March 15, 2024.

March 15, 2024
End of Moratorium protection.

May 20, 2024
End of the EAP heating season. Last day for households to apply.

How long will it take before I get my benefit?
Local Service Agencies may take 55 days to determine if you are eligible, and it may take an additional 30 days for the utility company to process your benefit. PLEASE CONTINUE TO PAY YOUR UTILITY BILLS while waiting for your EAP benefit to appear on your account.