What is EAP?
What are the Program Requirements?
Can the Utility Company shut off my service?
If I owe money for my bill, can I still apply for Energy Assistance?
Can I get a benefit more than once in a program year?
What do I need to bring to my appointment?
How can I lower my bill?


or The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program is a federal social services program first established in 1981 and funded annually through Congressional appropriations. The mission of LIHEAP is to assist low income households, particularly those with the lowest incomes that pay a high proportion of household income for home energy, primarily in meeting their immediate home energy needs. The program, part of the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), is funded by grants appropriated from the federal government.

Program Requirements

Income- Households may qualify if their income does not exceed 150 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. All household residents age 18 and over must provide proof of earned and unearned income for 12 months. Utilities – The household must have an active account and have the utilities listed in the name of a household resident age 18 or over, legal power of attorney or landlord. All applicants must provide the most recent utility bill for the primary heating and electric sources. Proof of Residence – The household must provide a current lease or be willing to acquire a signed landlord affidavit. 

Can the utility company shut off my service?

Any household who has qualified for EAP on or after October 1st cannot have its service disconnected between December 1 and March 15. A “qualified” household is defined as a household that has submitted a complete application to its local CAA or designee, and a staff person at that agency has determined or is determining that eligibility meets the program requirements based on household income, number of household members, and utility bills. If your utilities are electric or gas, including a municipally owned, privately owned, or cooperatively owned utility, then they qualify as a “utility” for the purposes of the moratorium law.  The definition of “municipally owned utility” means every utility owned or operated by any city or town in Indiana. If your utilities are past due before December 1 or after March 15, your services may be disconnected. Households serviced by bulk fuel vendors are not eligible for moratorium protection.

If I owe money for my electric bill, can I still apply for Energy Assistance?

As long as your application meets the current program requirements, you may qualify for energy assistance. EAP funds will not pay for a closed account or debt older than one year. If your EAP benefit with crisis assistance does not prevent a disconnection or will not reactivate service, you may be asked to make a payment to ensure that service is active after EAP assistance.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

Please check the program requirements and documents section of our site. 

Can I get a benefit more than once in a program year?

Energy Assistance is offered as a one-time benefit between October 1st and May 12th. If additional funds are available during summer months, all previously qualified applicants will be notified.

How can I lower my bill?

Several utility companies offer energy savings tips and rebates. Please visit your specific utility company website for further information:

Citizens Energy Group
Citizens Energy Savings Tips
You may also sign up for a Citizens Free Energy Savings Kit.

Indianapolis Power and Light
IPL Energy Savings Tips
You may also sign up for an IPL Free Energy Savings Kit

Vectren Energy Delivery
Vectren Energy Savings Tips